- PCOS is associated with increased risk of venous thromboembolism (VTE), according to a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Why this matters
- Few studies have examined the potential association between PCOS and VTE risk, necessitating this meta-analysis.
- Patients with PCOS had increased risk of VTE in unadjusted analysis (5 studies; OR, 1.70; 95% CI, 1.42-2.04) and in analysis adjusted for obesity and hormonal treatment (3 studies; OR, 1.89; 95% CI, 1.60-2.24).
- 5 studies were included in the meta-analysis.
- Funding: None.
- Potential misclassification bias due to use of administrative codes.
- Only 5 included studies.
- Heterogeneity between included studies.