- Lichen planus is associated with increased risk for metabolic syndrome, according to a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Why this matters
- These results suggest that patients with lichen planus should be screened for metabolic disorders.
- Patients with lichen planus had increased risk for metabolic syndrome:
- Pooled OR: 2.81 (P<.00001>
- In subgroup analysis, the pooled ORs for metabolic syndrome were greater in studies using International Diabetes Federation diagnostic criteria (OR, 4.65; P<.00001 and harmonized criteria p=".16)" than in studies using national cholesterol education program adult treatment panel iii>
- 12 studies with 1422 participants (715 with lichen planus and 707 control participants) were included in the meta-analysis.
- Funding: Zhejiang Medical and Health Science and Technology Program.
- Heterogeneity among included studies.