- COVID-19 does not appear to manifest differently or more severely in people with HIV vs those without.
Why this matters
- Consider non-HIV causes of immunodeficiency, such as organ transplant history, among patients with HIV hospitalized with COVID-19.
- 88 people with HIV and 405 without HIV, hospitalized with confirmed COVID-19.
- Median age, 61 (interquartile range [IQR], 54-67) years; 40% Black; 30% Hispanic/Latino.
- People with HIV had more comorbidities vs those without:
- COPD: 10% vs 3% (P<.0001>
- Cirrhosis: 6% vs 2% (P=.02).
- Cancer history: 17% vs 6% (P=.001).
- 73% had lower CD4 percentages at admission (median decline, 4% [IQR, 0%-9%]).
- 81% had high viral suppression.
- Organ transplant: 3.85 (1.87-7.94).
- Use of non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors: 0.31 (0.12-0.80).
- Case-cohort analysis, patients in the New York health system.
- Funding: NIH.
- Missing confounders.
- Small sample size.