Why this matters
A premixed oral vancomycin solution could save time and improve access.
- Firvanq will come in 25 and 50 mg/mL strengths and in 150 and 300 mL sizes.
- It will replace CutisPharma’s oral vancomycin solution compounding kit, FIRST.
- Vancomycin is bactericidal; it works primarily by inhibiting cell-wall biosynthesis.
- Intravenous formulations of vancomycin can also be administered orally.
- Some conditions can raise the risk for systemic vancomycin absorption via the oral route, including high doses, prolonged administration, and severe gastrointestinal (GI) infection or inflammation.
- Common adverse reactions include nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and hypokalemia.
- Nephrotoxicity was noted in 5% of study patients in prescription insert; other serious reactions include ototoxicity and reversible neutropenia.
- There are no available data on Firvanq's safety in pregnancy, but older data have not linked vancomycin use in the second and third trimesters with adverse pregnancy-related outcomes.