- Trifarotene (Aklief) cream 0.005% has been approved by the FDA for topical treatment of acne.
Why this matters
- Retinoid molecule has shown efficacy for face and trunk acne.
- In phase 3 trials, trifarotene was associated with reduced inflammatory lesions on the face, back, shoulders, and chest compared with vehicle (P<.05>
- The most common adverse reactions were application site irritation, application site pruritus, and sunburn.
- Approval is based on 2 phase 3 randomized controlled trials that included 2420 patients.
- Funding: Galderma.